Xylitol Food Additive Harmful to Household Pets

Image of chewing gum.

People love sweets and so do many dogs. In fact, some dogs love their family's sweet treats and sneak bites of it when the humans aren't looking. You or your children probably also share goodies with your family pet. Many sweets are made with the substance called xylitol.

Xylitol is used to manufacture many sweet tasting products including: chocolates, cookies, cakes, ice creams, other baked goods and hard candies. You'll find it in toothpaste and hygiene products, some vitamins, gums and mints. In fact, xylitol has been included in products that are sweet in nature and may be labeled as sugar-free.

You may be aware that xylitol is available for bulk purchases and large quantities may be regularly maintained in your household for your family's baking and food preparation needs.

Why? Xylitol is a sugar alcohol being used as a sweetener. Xylitol is often used in products for ingestion by diabetic individuals and it has less calories than regular sugar. The xylitol makes the product taste sweet and doesn't have the same effect on blood sugar that sugar products have.

Eric K. Dunayer indicates in New Findings on the Effects of Xylitol Ingestion in Dogs, that even though xylitol is safe for people, the lives of dogs can be threatened by ingesting it. Just two or three sticks of xylitol gum could be toxic to a 20-pound dog.

Dogs can experience liver failure due to xylitol toxicity. The substance can create changes in their blood sugar, impair it to create hypoglycemia and derail their liver so that it will not filter properly. The liver is the primary organ that controls detoxification and supports proper blood clotting throughout the body.

The United States Food and Drug Administration warned pet owners that xylitol toxicity can be harmful to their dogs. The FDA also issued this warning about ferrets. Because of the known tendency of xylitol to be toxic to dogs it is critical to keep all products containing the substance out of their reach. The consequences of ingesting xylitol can be catastrophic. If you think your dog has ingested xylitol immediately contact your veterinarian, local poison control center or the pet poison hotline at 800-213-6680.

Location

Find us on the map

Office Hours

At this time we only offer services for large animals.

Monday:

8:00 am-5:00 pm

Emergencies

Tuesday:

8:00 am-5:00 pm

Emergencies

Wednesday:

8:00 am-5:00 pm

Emergencies

Thursday:

8:00 am-5:00 pm

Emergencies

Friday:

8:00 am-5:00 pm

Emergencies

Saturday:

Emergencies Only

Sunday:

Emergencies Only

Testimonials

Read What Our Clients Say

  • "Incredible vet and very genuine person. During one harrowing event, he was on the phone with me numerous times during the day and night, at midnight, and at 2am, then called the next morning for a progress report. He always goes above and beyond because he takes his job seriously - something that is becoming harder and harder to find. Can't say enough good things about him. He is a treasure."
    Lisa C.
  • "Dr. King is awesome! I cannot say enough great things about his practice. He has saved my horses multiple times. Even if he is out on an emergency, he still takes the time as soon as possible to follow up, answer lots of questions, and give instructions. I completely trust him with my big babies! THANK YOU for all you do for all of us!"
    Staci P.